What is Human Nutrition and Dietetics?
Nutrition is a biological process that utilizes the nutrients provided by food or other sources for the survival and growth of the organism. The arena of scientific pursuits in nutrition as a science very broad. People from a wide variety of fields specializes in specific areas of nutrition that are related to their original field of study may call themselves nutritionists e.g. veterinary scientists, plant scientists, food scientists, physicians, pharmacists, biochemists may all be titled nutritionist after getting some expertise in nutrition though they have very diverse expertise in relation to nutrition. In most countries of the world there are no strict rules for using the title nutritionists.
Human nutritionists study about various aspects of human nutrition and have much more comprehensive knowledge than the other kind of Nutritionists. However, not all graduate programs in human nutrition are designed to prepare specific nutrition care professionals.
Dietitians-Nutritionists are human nutritionists who study broad aspects of human nutrition and are trained to serve as Human Nutrition Care professionals. Dietetics is the oldest human nutrition profession that is regulated in many countries and has well established standards of education and practice. Dietetics as a field of study started as an area of specialization of home economics. Thus still in many countries graduates of home economics with major in dietetics are fit for serving as Dietitian Nutritionists. Dietitian-Nutritionists are provided comprehensive education and training that enables them to work as clinical Nutritionist, Community nutritionist and as in the food service and food production industries.
Human Nutrition and Dietetics in Pakistan:
In Pakistan formal Education in the field of Human Nutrition and Dietetics started from the colleges of Home Economics as an area of specialization. As the home economics degree programs were guided by Iowa and Oklahoma state Universities curriculum in colleges of home economic or the ones established by home economists usually adopt International pattern of dietetics education as summarized by International Confederation of Dietetics Associations. This pattern provides comprehensive human nutrition education at the undergraduate level that prepares the graduates to work in entry level jobs in nay to the three traditional settings of human nutrition: Community Nutrition, Clinical Nutrition and Food Service.
Exclusive degree programs have been started in several universities in Pakistan now. These degree programs have been established by a variety of different experts e.g. Food Scientists, Agriculturist, Biochemist, Medical Practitioner, Public Health experts etc. and thus relative focus is diverse.
Opportunities for Post Graduate and Doctorate level education in Human Nutrition and Dietetics Pakistan are still rare.
There is a dire need for regularization of Human Nutrition and Dietetics education in Pakistan so that expertise of various kinds of nutrition graduates could be appreciated and utilized judiciously.
Serve as a Center of Excellence (Institute) for Education and Research for Best Quality Human Nutrition Care in Pakistan and Other Countries.
- Establish Internationally accreditable undergraduate and postgraduate professional education programs in Human Nutrition and Dietetics
- Undertake, promote and support research that can provide evidence base for resolving human nutrition issues
- Liaison with the industry and corporate sector to facilitate provision of nutrition promoting product and services
- Liaison with private and public stakeholders to Undertake, promote ad support projects to promote nutritious and safe diets and healthy life styles
- Quality education at newly started undergraduate programs
- Establishment of Post graduate program
- Establishment of HND Research Center
- Establishment of professionals, corporate sector and social networks to promote nutritious and safe diets and healthy life styles
- Identifying and employing the most befitting human resource and providing on the job training as needed to optimizes the use of resources
- Assuring quality of education by targeting the development of competencies recommended by international organizations and panels of experts.
- To assure induction of most befitting learners, promoting awareness about scope of and differed in various human nutrition professions and difference between food nutrition and medical experts
- Inclusion of structure supervises practice at all levels to increase employability and to assure effective professional contributions of the graduate
- Clinical Dietitians- Nutritionists
- Nutrition Educationists
- Public Health Nutritionists
- Food Researcher and Scientist
The course curriculum meeting the standards suggested by the experts of International Confederation of Dietetic Association and the Accreditation Council for Education in Nutrition and Dietetics (ACEND®) USA.
Admissions currently open for BS in Human Nutrition & Dietetics.
- Duration: 4 years
- Entry Requirements: Minimum 50% marks in Intermediate (Pre-Medical) / A-Level (Biology Mandatory) or equivalent.
- Entry test: Test for undergraduate program (conduct by University)
- Program Type: Morning
- Details of Fee Structure (Fee Per Semester)
|1.||Admission Fee (One time)||Rs.15,000/=|
|2.||Documentation Fee (One time)||Rs.3000/=|
|3.||Enrollment Fee (One time)||Rs.2600/=|
|4.||Security Deposit (One time)||Rs.10,000/=|
|5.||Laboratory Fee (Per semester)||Rs.3000/=|
|6.||Examination Fee (Per semester)||Rs.3400/=|
|7.||Tuition Fee (Per semester)||Rs.80,000/=|
|8.||Processing Fee (One time)||Rs.4000/=|
|1.||Application Acceptance||Jun 1 – Sep 30, 2022|
|4.||Submission of HSSC Part II mark sheet||15-Sep-22|
|5.||Submission of A Levels results||15-Sep-22|
|6.||Submission of IBCC Equivalence||10-Nov-22|