The Department of Human Nutrition and Dietetics in Ziauddin University was established in the year of 2020 in the College of Natural Sciences under the Faculty of Eastern Medicine. The Department aims to provide quality education in the undergraduate and post graduate programs and transform the students into internationally competent professionals. Currently, Department of Human Nutrition and Dietetics in Ziauddin University is the only institute in Karachi which offers admissions of Ph.D. program in the discipline of Human Nutrition & Dietetics.
To Serve as a Center of Excellence (Institute) for Education and Research for Best Quality Human Nutrition Care in Pakistan and Low Middle Income Countries.
- Establish Internationally Comparable undergraduate and postgraduate professional education programs in Human Nutrition and Dietetics.
- Undertake, promote ad support research that can provide evidence base for resolving human nutrition issues.
- Liaison with the industry and corporate sector to facilitate provision of nutrition promoting product and services.
- Liaison with private and public stakeholders to Undertake, promote ad support projects to promote nutritious and safe diets and healthy life styles.
- Quality education at newly started undergraduate programs.
- Establishment of Post graduate program.
- Establishment of HND Research Center.
- Establishment of professionals, corporate sector and social networks to promote nutritious and safe diets and healthy life styles.
- Ph.D. in Human Nutrition & Dietetic.
PhD. in Human Nutrition & Dietetic
All the current guideline by HEC will be followed for admission and examinations
Course Work for Ph.D.
A maximum of 12 Credit Hour courses can be taken in one semester. A minimum of 18 credit hours (two semesters) of the coursework will be required to complete by those who have already done masters (i.e. 18 years of education) in the relevant field or equivalent. A minimum of 48 credit hours (four semesters) of the coursework will be required to complete by those who have not done masters and have completed only 16 years of education (BS) in the relevant field or equivalent.
|Ph.D. after BS (credit hours)||Ph.D. after MS (credit hours)|
|Total Coursework CH||48||18|
|Semester I||Semester II||Semester III- onwards|
|Developments in Human Nutrition Science||Nutrition Epidemiology & Biostatistics||
Comprehensive Examination and Research
|Developments in Nutrition Assessment Techniques||Research Methods in Human Nutrition|
|Elective I||Elective 2|
|1||HND8011||Qualitative Health Research|
|2||HND8013||Statistics for Nutritionist|
|3||HND8008||Scientific Communication Skills|
|4||HND8009||Household Determinants of Nutrition|
|1||HND8101||Advanced Clinical Nutrition|
|3||HND8103||Nutrition and Immunity|
|4||HND8104||Personalized Nutrition, Nutrigenomics and Microbiota|
|5||HND8105||Nutrition and Metabolism|
|6||HND8082||Internship B Primacy Care Nutrition|
|7||HND8083||Internship C Primacy Care Nutrition|
|1||HND8201||Nutrition and Development.|
|2||HND8202||Nutrition education and Behavior change Communication|
|3||HND8203||Innovations for Food Security|
|4||HND8204||International Health and Nutrition|
|5||HND8205||Psycho-socio-cultural determinants of Nutrition|
|6||HND8081||Internship A Community Nutrition|
|1||HND8301||Food processing and Nutrition|
|2||HND8302||Catering management: standards and regulations|
|3||HND8303||Nanotechnology in Food and Nutrition|
|4||HND8304||Food Industry and Human Nutrition|
|5||HND8305||Food and Nutrition Marketing|
|6||HND8084||Internship D Food Quality Management|
- Clinical Dietitians- Nutritionists
- Nutrition Educationists
- Public Health Nutritionists
- Human Nutrition and Dietetics Researcher and Scientist
- Nutrition experts in media
Candidates who have done BS as well as MS/M.Phil. in Human Nutrition & Dietetics are eligible to apply for admission. If candidates have a degree in a different subject and wish to be considered for admission, they must provide equivalency of their degree. These candidates are allowed to take up to three courses, with a maximum of 9 credit hours, to fulfill any deficiencies in their academic background. However, if the deficiency exceeds 9 credit hours, the candidate is not eligible to apply for the program.
- Appearance in Ziauddin University Entrance Test is mandatory for all applicants, who wish to seek admission in Ph.D. program to be conducted by the Department of Human Nutrition & Dietetics.
- The test shall comprise of the following sections:
1) Section-I Nutrition 80%
2) Section-II English 10%
3) Section-III Analytical Reasoning 10%
- Candidates will be required to score at least 70% marks in each section to be eligible for consideration for provisional admission.
- If a candidate has already qualified the International (subject) GRE/GAT/NTS, he/she will be exempted from the subject test component. The validity of International (subject) GRE is 5 years and NTS/GAT is for two years. The passing score of GRE minimum is 60% and that of NTS/GAT is 60%. However, the candidate has to appear in interview
- Time allowed 2.5 hours
- Test will consist of 100 MCQs
- Minimum marks required for passing the test are 70
- Calculators are not allowed
|S.No.||All compulsory section||MCQs|
|I. Fundamentals of Human Nutrition and Dietetics (30 %)|
|II. Nutrition Care (40%)|
|III. Development and delivery of normal and therapeutic foods (10%)|
All the students who (qualify & exempted) from the Ziauddin University Entrance test will be required to appear for an interview to be conducted by the Department of human Nutrition & Dietetics to finalize the admission procedure.
For PhD-HND: 15
Tuition fees and other costs are subject to change and are determined each year.
Details of Fee Structure (Fee per Semester) are as follows:
|1.||Admission Fee (One time)||25,000|
|2.||Documentation Fee (One time)||5000|
|3.||Enrollment Fee (One time)||10,000/year|
|4.||Security Deposit (One time)||15000|
|5.||Dissertation / Thesis Evaluation Fee||80,000|
|7.||Viva Voce Exam Fee||20000|
|8.||GEC Evaluation Fee||15000/year after comprehensive examination|
|9.||Examination Fee (Per semester)||10000|
|10.||Tuition Fee (Per semester)||150000/=|
|9.||Total Fee at the time of admission||205,000|
PhD-HND: Minimum duration for PhD program is 03 years and Maximum duration is 8 years.
A maximum of 12 Credit Hour courses can be taken in one semester. A minimum of 18 credit hours (two semesters) of the coursework will be required to be completed by those who have done MS/M.Phil. in Human Nutrition & Dietetics.
The year of study is scheduled as follows:
Commencement of Regular Classes (January 11, 2023)
Mid-Term Examinations (March 15, 2023)
Preparation of Final Semester Exam (May 22, 2023)
Final Examinations (May 29, 2023)
3rd Floor, DPT Building, Ziauddin University, Block-B, North Nazimabad, Karachi-74700.
Email ID: [email protected]
- Dr. Rubina Hakeem
Chief Nutritionist and Head of Department of Human Nutrition & Dietetics
PhD (Nutrition) (UK), RD (UK), FAfN (UK), FAND (US)
- Khursheed Hashmi
- Musarrat Jahan
- Naveed Khan
PhD (Food science & Technology)
- M/S Nida Azhar
BS in Home economics (Human Nutrition & Dietetics)
- M/S Warda Qamar
BS hons. in Home economics (Food and Nutrition)
- M/S Summaya Iqbal
BS in Home economics (Human Nutrition & Dietetics)